way harder offline rules needed (call it the Viro case - NOT for harrasment)

Discussion about technical stuff and suggestions for improvement.

Moderator: systemmods

ATB - Racing

way harder offline rules needed (call it the Viro case - NOT for harrasment)

Post by ATB - Racing » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:43 pm

heya,

The offline rule states that you will be kicked in one-day races if you are offline for more than 60% of the race.
Either I don't understand the rule or it doesn't work.
Short example: Team Viromet - Race: Scarborough-Newcastle upon Tyne
Start Time: 22:00 CET

I looked in from time to time and checked the online status, he was almost never online. From km 165 he was. If you want me to prove this with screenshots, I'm happy to do so.
At the end of the race, he was about 75% offline or, to put it another way, 25% online.
That's simply disastrous. I'm referring to the rule that allows such a way of playing.

Until then he was offline for about 150 km. That's a long way from 60%.
On the other hand, if the 60% rule says that you can't be offline for more than 60% of the time, then that's a bit rubbish, to say the least.

Then you could just come online at km 59 in a 100km race and be sure not to get kicked out. Then quickly set sprint and attack and off you go.
If you want to do it that way, you should probably play a manager game.
In my eyes, the game thrives on interaction.

Idea / suggestion:
Anyone who is offline for more than 30% at a time flies, anyone who is offline for more than 40% in total flies.

deutsch:

Die Offline Regel besagt, dass man bei Eintagesrennen gekicked wird wenn man mehr als 60 % des Rennens offline ist.
Entweder verstehe ich die Regel nicht oder sie funktioniert nicht.
Kurzes Beispiel: Team Viromet - Race: Scarborough-Newcastle upon Tyne
Start Time: 22:00 CET

Ich habe ab und an reingeschaut und den online Status gechecked, er war quasi nie online. Ab km 165 dann schon. Wenn ich das mit Screenshots belegen soll, kann ich das gerne tun.
Er war am Ende des Rennens ca. 75% offline oder anders herum gesagt 25% online.
Das ist halt einfach desaströs. Also ich meine damit die Regel, die solch eine Spielweise zulässt.

Bis dahin war er ca. 150 km offline. Das ist sehr weit weg von 60%.
Wenn die 60% Regel hingegen besagt, dass man nicht mehr als 60% am Stück offline sein darf ist die Regel gelinde gesagt fürn Poppes.

Dann könnte man ja einfach bei nem 100km Rennen bei km 59 online kommen und würde sicher gehen nicht rauszufliegen. Dann noch schnell Sprint und Attacke eingestellt und aus die Maus.
Wenn man das so machen will, sollte man eventuell aber eher nen Manager Spiel spielen.
In meinen Augen lebt das Spiel von Interaktion.

Idee / Vorschlag:
Wer länger als 30% am Stück offline ist fliegt, wer in Summe mehr als 40% offline ist fliegt.

spectators "chat" :roll:
ATB - Racing(00:00): Windschatten .... 30% power safing
ATB - Racing(00:00): das Wahnsinn, er war heute knapp 75%! offline
Rhodan Underdogs(23:59): stärkere Nachteile für offline wäre eine gute Sache
ATB - Racing(23:56): haha again he get a win and a lot of help by others and is still pissed :D
ATB - Racing(23:55): @stevens, i also like rhetorical questions :D
ATB - Racing(23:55): thanks viro, wanted to open that topic looooong time ago, but with your fpc thread you gave me the extra push i needed! great
stevens(23:54): Never
stevens(23:54): Quick question: would he have helped dreizhn if he'd had the 82-72 and dreizhn the 78-81?
ATB - Racing(23:46): attack the guy who worked all stage for you would be extra classy!
ATB - Racing(23:46): attack the guy who worked all stage for you would be extra classy!
ATB - Racing(23:44): so 150 / 189 offline. sounds legit to me as we call it an ONLINE game!
ATB - Racing(23:30): roundabout offline for 150 km until km 165
ATB - Racing(23:23): 162: Team Viromet(31)
ATB - Racing(23:16): just for info: need it for a thread for harder offline rules
ATB - Racing(23:16): km 152: Team Viromet(21)
ATB - Racing(23:03): km 127: Team Viromet(45)
ATB - Racing(22:53): right now at least 70 / 105km offline
ATB - Racing(22:52): km 105: Team Viromet(23)
ATB - Racing(22:28): Team Viromet(19) + was offline before for about 30 km. Km 57
ATB - Racing(22:22): Dreizehn missed to write that he expects help from rfm and ... OF COURSE! (Anfängerfehler) :D

schappy

Re: way harder offline rules needed (call it the Viro case - NOT for harrasment)

Post by schappy » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:15 am

Erstmal allgemein finde ich deine Fixierung auf ein Team hier nicht gut und nur deswegen eine Regel anpassen zu wollen, ist irgendwie kritisch.

Zum Thema:
Wir haben das Thema schon oft gehabt und ich gehe davon aus, dass sehr viele teilnahmen von Spielern an Rennen dann nicht mehr möglich wäre. Wir haben vermutlich alle ein echtes Leben und nutzen das Spiel als freudiges Hobby zum ablenken. Wenn es kein Flachrennen ist, hat man durch Offline sein schon genug Nachteile. 30% Offline kann bei manchen Rennen schon 20 Minuten sein. Das passiert vermutlich die hälfte aller Leute regelmäßig.
Ich bin also gegen eine Anpassung der Regel aus den genannten Gründen.
I´ve got the magic in me

Chense

Re: way harder offline rules needed (call it the Viro case - NOT for harrasment)

Post by Chense » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:35 pm

I am absolutely not with schappy here who says the rule is quite good as it is...

Indeed i would even like a much harder rule but as a compromise just some suggestion for not directly kicking out anyone.

Even i see the problem more or less as the following: If you just change the rules to 30, 40, 50% those notorious offliners will take a look after those % instead of the actual rule and dont change anything else in their behaviour ... so i have the following suggestion (even if it might me hard for newcomers ... something we also have to think about!)

I would a difference between km off in a row and total km:

Off in a row:
- 20% = Helper settings out
- 30% = All other settings out and helper settings cant be reset until 50% of the remaining race or the next 10km - the lesser amount counts - tempo / attack excluded
- 40% = All settings out and cant be reset until 50% of the remaining race or 10km - the lesser amount count - tempo / attack excluded
- 50% = Kick

Off in total:
- 40% = All helper settings out
- 55% = All settings out and for the next 10km or 50% of the remaining race you cant set anything except tempo / attack
70% = Kick

Introduce a "offline" mode - for 25% of the stages in a stage race you can set an offline mode there those rules will not apply but you will be see that someone is in that mode and any login will directly stop it and the rules above apply again

Chemnitz Pro Cycling Team

Post by Chemnitz Pro Cycling Team » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:17 pm

Chense wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:35 pm
I am absolutely not with schappy here who says the rule is quite good as it is...

Indeed i would even like a much harder rule but as a compromise just some suggestion for not directly kicking out anyone.

Even i see the problem more or less as the following: If you just change the rules to 30, 40, 50% those notorious offliners will take a look after those % instead of the actual rule and dont change anything else in their behaviour ... so i have the following suggestion (even if it might me hard for newcomers ... something we also have to think about!)

I would a difference between km off in a row and total km:

Off in a row:
- 20% = Helper settings out
- 30% = All other settings out and helper settings cant be reset until 50% of the remaining race or the next 10km - the lesser amount counts - tempo / attack excluded
- 40% = All settings out and cant be reset until 50% of the remaining race or 10km - the lesser amount count - tempo / attack excluded
- 50% = Kick

Off in total:
- 40% = All helper settings out
- 55% = All settings out and for the next 10km or 50% of the remaining race you cant set anything except tempo / attack
70% = Kick

Introduce a "offline" mode - for 25% of the stages in a stage race you can set an offline mode there those rules will not apply but you will be see that someone is in that mode and any login will directly stop it and the rules above apply again
I like this idea.

Quick

Post by Quick » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:11 pm

I'm against making a game, which needs like 2h a day, more inaccessible for players who can't or also don't have the need to be here for 2h straight. It's a disadvantage no matter what.

Actually, maybe I'd be for it, if we have more players. But we don't.
J-Czucz hype train

Carry Rhodan

Post by Carry Rhodan » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:47 am

Chenses proposal is good!

I'm in favor of tightening up the offline rules, currently lax rules are simply being exploited by some teams.

In reality it is not possible to be offline, but here you can be offline for 90% of the race and then even win the race. Why?

I don't find Quick's objection a convincing argument at all.
It's not at all necessary to race every day, I don't do that either. You might have less income, that's all.
If you really don't have time, then just skip a race.
Tightening up the rules doesn't mean that you have to be online all the time.
it is about ensuring that the rules are not abused any further
WE ARE THE UNDERDOGS! Rhodan Underdogs

team fl

Post by team fl » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:23 am

In general, I don't like the idea of making it harder for everyone because of a few bad examples. But, one way to go could be to seperate the discussion for stage races and one day races:

Stage races: I think decent offline rules help a lot for stage races. Being online 4 to 21 days in a row (not incl. rest days...) at the same time is difficult for most human being. Not for the real freaks here, but for most. They may still be adapted a bit, but in general I am pro offline rules for stage races similar to the ones we have: You need to be online on a certain amount of stages, for a certain amount if time.

One day races: When you sign up for a one day race, you sign up willingly for a race on a particular day at a particular time. So it can be exptected for a player to be online, at least most of the race. There may always be some little things to keep you away from being online for a little while (toilet, smoking break, little children, annying co-workers, etc.), but in general, most of the race, a player should be online. The question now is: what is the right amount of time you should be online without too strict rules for cases such as listed in the brackets?

And make no mistake: No matter what the rules are, some players (very few) will exploit them. So the real question is, again: What is the equilibrium not to hurt the players that are usually online but have to be offline accidentally / surpringly for a while in a race but sanction teams that tend to exploit offline times (and hence harm the gaming experience)? Here, I agree with Schappy and r Quick, that (way) harder offline rules may hurt the game more than they help.

And:The fairplay votes are exactly for such cases (make objective and comprehensible comments!). Check the teams before the race. If the "favourite" tends to be offline in most of the races, adapt your tactics accordingly. Rule of thumb is: Most notorious offline teams don't win very often... (and have less fun playing the game!)
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

High Flyer

Post by High Flyer » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:47 am

My first post in 3 years :D
Even though the current rules do allow for some annoying riding habits, I think you (teams that are much more active and involved in the games) have to be very careful. Changes like 20% helpers setting off and off in total for one day races won't drive off players on the day of implementation, but will definitely drive players numbers down as an overall. Most one day races don't need people online that often, especially once the break has gone and you aren't the favourite to chase. I do agree with maybe increasing the 60% off in a row to 50% instead.

On another note, I think its worth remembering that the amount of teams that actually abuse the offline system are probably in the single digits and hardly affect most player in most races, and event then, as stated by others, changing offline setting isn't going to suddenly make sucking offline teams start riding or being active, they'll just do the same sucking they did before, but with shorter breaks between offlines. I really wouldn't make such drastic changes to offline rules just for them. Because this honestly feels like a complaint about sucking more than a complaint about the offline rules.

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:53 pm

Harder offline rules aren't needed. There are teams in your field, on or off setting and way they ride can be absolutely the same. I am more against teams that target only one team to follow and that is all. So why not doing something like "you can follow only one rider of one team at the same time" ?

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:53 pm

Harder offline rules aren't needed. There are teams in your field, on or off setting and way they ride can be absolutely the same. I am more against teams that target only one team to follow and that is all. So why not doing something like "you can follow only one rider of one team at the same time" ?

Radunion

Post by Radunion » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:15 am

There could be a case for a moderate rules change, but some suggestions, e. g. Chense's, are far too restrictive. It could hit teams that are fair, but have no interest in being online all the time if they missed the group and have no intention to ride against it.

Much is policed by the managers themselves. Do not ride for notorious offline teams.

Carry Rhodan

Post by Carry Rhodan » Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:55 am

A moderate change is better than nothing at all. Because the way it is now is not satisfactory at all and has nothing to do with cycling.
WE ARE THE UNDERDOGS! Rhodan Underdogs

team fl

Post by team fl » Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:17 pm

Carry Rhodan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:55 am
A moderate change is better than nothing at all. Because the way it is now is not satisfactory at all and has nothing to do with cycling.
What are you referring to exactly? Can you elaborate it a bit more? F.e. with examples, numbers, etc.

The reason for my questions is: I dont feel this way at all. So I wonder where it is coming from. It seems subjective to me. But maybe I am wrong and hard fact will show the picture clearer.
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.